Grazie mille Roma... (part 2)
The next day it was up early and off to beat the queues to get into the Vatican Museums. Or at least line up with them! In any case pretty soon we were wandering around inside. First stop was a small exhibition containing what appearred to be the same sculpture inexplicably reproduced several times in different sizes and states of disrepair. We called it "the rarest sculpture in Rome!" and would soon meet with another version of it on our way to the Sistine chapel! You need time to see everything in the Vatican museums, every hallway is decorated from roof to floor with the most intricate detail and there are HEAPS of people so we decided that it would be straight to the Sistine Chapel for us and then back out to Rome. However the Sistine Chapel itself was just incredible. Mindblowing that one person could paint something of that scale.
(If you look closely at the third photo you can see people on the 1st tier above St. Peter's dome.)



The thing I would really have loved to do in Rome was rent a scooter but we ran out of time and into practicality (rather keep eating and drinking) so instead we headed over to the Trevi Fountain, which is this gigantic fountain set into the side of a massive building (just cause they can I guess) and bought some GREAT gelato then headed over to the Spanish steps and spent the afternoon walking around the main shopping district with the rest of Rome. Again even though it was crowded there is a really good vibe to Rome and people still seem relaxed and friendly. That night we went out and ate until we were absolutely stuffed again in this great restaurant in town. It was a fantastic way to end our time in Rome. That morning at the Trevi fountain Catherine and I threw a coin into the water to guarantee that we would return to Rome. I can't wait!
(If you look closely at the third photo you can see people on the 1st tier above St. Peter's dome.)



The thing I would really have loved to do in Rome was rent a scooter but we ran out of time and into practicality (rather keep eating and drinking) so instead we headed over to the Trevi Fountain, which is this gigantic fountain set into the side of a massive building (just cause they can I guess) and bought some GREAT gelato then headed over to the Spanish steps and spent the afternoon walking around the main shopping district with the rest of Rome. Again even though it was crowded there is a really good vibe to Rome and people still seem relaxed and friendly. That night we went out and ate until we were absolutely stuffed again in this great restaurant in town. It was a fantastic way to end our time in Rome. That morning at the Trevi fountain Catherine and I threw a coin into the water to guarantee that we would return to Rome. I can't wait!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home